Friday, November 26, 2010

Slowing Down to the Speed of Life

While I was in Vancouver, this book literally fell off the shelf and into my lap. The title was the above statement; 'Slowing Down to the Speed of Life.' I thought it was rather ironic since 'slowing down' has never been neither my strong suit nor my desire. Going as quickly as possible through life to make sure I get done all that I need to get done has seemed like a pretty viable path in life. My husband would certainly disagree and has often used the mantra 'slow down Ellen' with me on more than one occasion (as my children could attest).

What a surprise to find out that he was right all along and I was, well, hate to say wrong – but yes, wrong. Going fast, trying to get three things done at the same time – like right now – getting to this blog prior to an appointment in less than an hour while also needing to pack to go away for a mini break in Collingwood. Why do I do this to myself?

I have always thought that I would run out of time. Don't know where that thought came from but now I'm starting to finally understand that there will be enough time to do everything I need to do. What I might run out of time for is being able to be everything that I need to be.

This week has been about coming home and celebrating my birthday week. It has been fun and it will continue. I knew when I made the plans to go out west that I would need some time to recover and reflect on my own life and the direction that I am taking my life. This is an annual thing – happens every year at my birthday – and I appreciate how important it is for me to do that.

Time can pass quickly when you are going fast. It tends to move more slowly when you are in turn going slowly. This next week I'm planning to go as slow as possible – for me – and to take in and reflect on this past year and to set a plan and a path for next year.

The birthday wishes that I have received have been amazing and very moving. It is so wonderful for me to receive these messages and to understand that they are a reflection of what I have made important this past year. Deepening relationships and ensuring that the people I love, know that I love them.

In the end, that is what is most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment