Friday, September 24, 2010

What is a Soul Mate?

A very long time ago I wrote a very brief book on the Soul Mate relationship. I thought it was a nice little book and was happy to have put pen to paper and come up with some thoughts on how this relationship works.

Soon after that, there was a plethora of books, articles, movies etc. on Soul Mates and I became rather embarrassed about my own little book and kind of hid it away so that I wouldn't be connected to it. I tend to be a bit like that; happy to write and think about things when they aren't that popular but once it becomes a cliche - which soul mates did - I tend to move away from the subject matter.

Why I am I now returning to it? Good question and the only answer I seem to have is that the world seems a bit crazy right now and the thing that seems to be front and centre for a lot of people is their relationship. Those that are in one; are acutely aware of what is or isn't working in the relationship. Those that aren't in a relationship seem to be yearning for that one, big love that will make the world ok.

We are in love with love and as much as there is cynicism about relationships and the state of divorce statistics, each of us in the secret and most sacred part of our hearts are aware that it is this one big love that we all desire.

What is the answer to finding your soul mate? Or, elevating the current relationship to that status? Paradoxically, it is to 'let go' and allow it to find you. Love doesn't tend to happen when we are searching - it is something that happens when we least expect it.

It is not dissimilar to when you have lost something - the minute you stop looking - it shows up. It's the same with a relationship - stop looking - set the intention and then let it go.

Today is the first full day of Fall. Looking outside I can see the leaves starting to drop - they are letting go with the knowledge that come spring, the leaves will be back.

In the spirit of the season, we can all learn from the trees. They don't resist what is - they just let go. Trusting that soon - after a good hibernation - they will be full again.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Ellen, congratulations, very wise words indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy of the falling of the leaves! We could all do with a little more, "letting go"!

    Good luck with this blog. I have had one for while but it's not that active now. It sort of ran its course. What I miss is a creative writing challenge of, "Poetry Friday".

    ReplyDelete